Monday, July 27, 2015

The Truth About Forever {by Sarah Dessen}


Title: The Truth About Forever
Author: Sarah Dessen
Genre: YA Contemporary
Rating: 5 out of 5 stars
Purchase: Amazon | Barnes & Noble
Source: publisher


Expect the unexpected.
Macy's got her whole summer carefully planned.
But her plants didn't include a job at Wish Catering. And they certainly didn't include Wes.
But Macy soon discovers that the things you expect least are sometimes the things you need most.


There are no words for how much I love Sarah Dessen. I once explained that I couldn't rate my favorite book by her. Instead, I have tiers: most favorite, second most favorite, etc. Because there is no way I could pit one against the other. The Truth About Forever is a first tier book (next to This Lullaby and Along for the Ride, if you were wondering).

Back to The Truth About Forever. I love rereading Sarah Dessen books, because they never get old. Every time I read one, I feel the same way I did when I first read it. I see new things, find new appreciation for things I might have missed before, and just an overall feeling of love for her books. They're liking coming home after a trip, comfortable and familiar and amazing.

Dessen's books may be classified as romances, but one reason I love them is that they are so much more. They are real and honest and just so true. I think I've always loved this one because I relate to Macy a lot more than her other characters. I thankfully have not had to watch a parent die, but I just get her. One thing I noticed more this time, was the little nuances and details about the quirks of each character, that make them seem like real people.

Macy is obsessed with being perfect. Since her father's death, she fakes her way through being okay. She doesn't want to be a burden to her mother, but also because if she pretends to be okay, no one will ask questions. She has the perfect boyfriend, perfect job, perfect hair. Until she starts to crack. Then, she meets to people of Wish catering. Messy, dysfunctional, imperfect. And it starts to call her in.

Like I said, I related to Macy. She isn't perfect. None of the characters were, which makes them seem so real. But like I said, this book was more than just a romance. Macy has to learn to find herself, but also figure out how to feel like a family again. I love stories where family is a main focus, and this was one. Macy and her mom have gone so long pretending they're okay, that they've forgotten how to actually be okay. Until her sister Caroline comes in, forcing them to confront their grief.

And Wes. Let's talk about Wes. Sa-woooon. (You'll get that when you read the book). Sometimes you get those love interests that are hot, but seemingly perfect and I don't like those. Wes isn't perfect, and acknowledges that he's messed up. But he isn't ashamed to admit that his past got him where he is now. And honestly, Wes is just one of my favorite love interests in the history of ever.

This was a beautiful book, for more reasons than just romance. It's about life, and learning how to live, and the balance between perfect and imperfect. Although it's YA, and the characters may be teenagers, I think this is a story that is relatable for all ages, and all stages of life. If you're new to Sarah Dessen, this is a really, really great one to start with.

This review can also be found on   Goodreads


Sarah Dessen: 


No comments:

Post a Comment