Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Reading Questionnaire

Hi guys! The NerdHerd here. We recently saw this questionnaire on Kelli's blog, and thought it would be fun to answer it ourselves. Just for a little something extra in the week :)

Do you snack while you read?
Rachel: No, I do not. I don't know why, but I don't like to. It interrupts my flow of reading, I guess. Although, I will read while eating a meal sometimes.
Dallas: Only if I'm hungry. Like, really hungry. Usually, I'm too engrossed to realize I'm hungry. I've actually lost weight reading before.

What is your favorite drink while reading?
Rachel: I don't usually drink anything while reading. But if I do, it's either coffee or hot tea. Something cozy.
Dallas: Dr. Pepper. Always.

Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the idea of writing in books horrify you?
Rachel: It kind of horrifies me. Although, I don't usually ever buy books myself, I always borrow, so that would also be why I don't ever mark as I read.
Dallas: It absolutely horrifies me. Even to mark my own. I can't stand other people marking in their own books. There's just something about it that I don't like. It's hard to explain.

How do you keep your place while reading a book?
Rachel: Whatever piece of paper I find. I try to pick something and keep it as a bookmark, but I always end up losing it. Although I have managed to hang on to my piece of sparkly peacock feather paper for a while now.
Dallas: I either scrap together a bookmark, or memorize the page number. That, or I finish the book in one sitting, making the point moot.

Are you the type of person who tends to read to the end of the chapter, or can you stop anywhere?
Rachel: I prefer to read to the end of a chapter because it's just easier to pick up again. However, I can stop anywhere if needed.
Dallas: I like reading to the end of the chapter, but I always definitely try to stop at the end of a paragraph. I cannot stop in the middle. Bugs me to no end.

Are you the type of person to throw a book across the room or onto the floor if the author irritates you?
Rachel: There have been a handful of occasions where I have wanted to. But no, I never have (yet).
Dallas: I guess I'd have to say yes, because there have been two books in my life that I have done that to. Sadly. Usually, I feel like I'd be throwing an actual living being, so I try not to.

If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you look it up right away?
Rachel: No. I always use context clues and figure it out. Which is why there are so many words that I can use in a sentence perfectly, yet I don't know the meaning of.
Dallas: Only if I can't figure out how to pronounce it, or if context clues aren't helpful.

What are you currently reading?
Rachel: I've been carrying around Reached by Allie Condie (Matched trilogy, book 3) but haven't really gotten around to actually opening it yet. I also have Picture Perfect by Janice Thompson that I'm reading as something light and funny.
Dallas: I've got Storm, the first in the Elemental series by Brigid Kremmerer in my bag, and The Sun Mage, book two of the Blacklight Chronicles by John Forrester on my Kindle.

What is the last book you bought?
Rachel: Uhhh…it was a book in the Bailey Flanigan series by Karen Kingsbury, but I don't remember which. I think it was Learning (book 2). It was like, at Christmas.
Dallas: Um, probably Behemoth, the second in the Leviathan trilogy by Scott Westerfeld. (Amazing books, by the way.)

Do you have a favorite time/place to read?
Rachel: The where is definitely on my bed, all snuggled up under the covers. As for when, anytime is a good time to read as far as I'm concerned.
Dallas: Not really. In school, at home, at Starbucks - anywhere but travelling in a car.

Do you prefer series books or stand-alones?
Rachel: It doesn't matter, because it depends on the quality of a book. I've read singles that I wish were expanded into series because I love it so much, and series that were mediocre but I read anyway just to know what happens. It all depends on how well it is written.
Dallas: I think I prefer series, simply because that means there's more, and more is better. But there have been some series that, after the first book, the rest were completely unnecessary. However, there'have been some stand-alones that would've been great as a series.

Is there a specific book you find yourself recommending over and over?
Rachel: The Princess Bride is one of my all-time favorites. I just love Goulding's humor. And the way he completely just made up a story about the story. Also, a book I'm in love with right now is The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick. Like, seriously. So amazing. Go read it.
Dallas: Not just one book, but the trilogy Leviathan. The third book is not out yet, but based on the first two, I can't wait. They were expertly written, and I just can't give them high enough praise. Also, anything by Rick Riordan. That man is a genius.

How do you organize your books?
Rachel: …in a row. I was about to say I don't really have a lot of books, but I remembered that the few I have are organized by size. And obviously, series are together (or is that unobvious?)
Dallas: By series, then author. Sometimes even paperbacks and hardbacks, depending on how many stand-alones I'm organizing. Right now, the ones on my shelves are by series and author, plus whatever fits on the shelves, and I've got two stacks of books that I don't believe have any right to go on my shelves. Not that they were bad, per se, but they definitely lacked something. Or they just didn't fit.

Well, that was fun! Feel free to answer this questionnaire on your own blog! Leave the link in the comments, so we can visit you and read your answers as well :)


2 comments:

  1. Fun survey! I almost never snack when I read. I prefer not to be eating at all. Sometimes I'll read during breakfast or lunch but usually I prefer surfing the 'net or reading a cooking magazine.

    I can't imagine stopping in the middle of a paragraph in a book. I like to read to the end of the chapter but don't always have time.

    New follower!

    ReplyDelete