Sunday, June 15, 2014

Short Story Sunday: Delirium Stories

Title: Delirium Stories: Hana, Annabel, & Raven
Series: Delirium 0.5, 1.5, 2.5
Author: Lauren Oliver
Rating: 3 out of 5 stars overall
Purchase: Amazon | Barnes & Noble

Hana is told through the perspective of Lena's best friend, Hana Tate. Set during the tumultuous summer before Lena and Hana are supposed to be cured, this story is a poignant and revealing look at a moment when the girls' paths diverge and their futures are altered forever.

Lena's mother, Annabel, has always been a mystery--a ghost from Lena's past--until now. Her journey from teenage runaway to prisoner of the state is a taut, gripping narrative that expands the Delirium world and illuminates events--and Lena--through a new point of view.

And as the passionate, fierce leader of a rebel group in the Wilds, Raven plays an integral role in the resistance effort and comes into Lena's life at a crucial time. Crackling with intensity, Raven is a brilliant story told in the voice of one of the strongest and most tenacious characters in the Delirium world.


I don't know how I didn't know there were Delirium short stories when I was actually reading the series (although that was before I started blogging which could account for it). I was just browsing at the library when I saw this and decided to pick it up. (And no, I didn't know about Hulu airing the pilot, but perfect timing on my part I guess.) Although I was pretty meh about the series, especially the last book, I decided to go ahead and read these.

I probably should have read them while reading the series (or just not read them at all). There was plenty I forgot that would have made these make a lot more sense. Also, I think these would have made the books themselves make more sense, or at least add a little depth. But oh well. Second, Annabel is considered 0.5, and Hana 1.5, yet Hana came first. I think they should have been put in order, because it just makes sense? Also, after I read these and was doing some Goodreads checking, I saw that there is an Alex short story too, but not included in this bind-up. Which also does not make sense. (Although, there is like zero info on Goodreads, so if anyone knows what's actually the deal with Alex's story, I would love to know.) Anyway, onto the actual stories themselves...

Hana (2 stars):

This one got two stars because I just couldn't make myself care. Hana was just never an interesting or compelling character to me. While I realize she is pivotal to the story, especially in the last book, I couldn't muster up any sort of feelings for her. And it was pretty much that way in this story. This does give Hana's reasoning and explanation for why she did what she did, and it does give some insight from her POV that we didn't get in the first book. But I just didn't find it that interesting.

Annabel (3 stars):

Lena's mother. This was probably the story I was most interested to read. After all, we don't get to know much about her mother, other than that she wasn't cured. It was very interesting to see her point of view from her time in the Wards, to her flashbacks of how she met Lena's father , got married, and the cure not working. It was an interesting POV, and I did enjoy this story.

Raven (3 stars):

Raven. Definitely one of the more interesting characters in the whole series. I can't remember if what was revealed in this was revealed in the actual series. But either way, it was nice to get a peek into Raven's head, what she's thinking and why she does the things she does. She also tells her story in flashbacks, of when she ran away to the wilderness, and how she first met Tack. This one was also interesting, and I did enjoy it.

So yeah. Those are my thoughts. If you're reading these after reading the series, like I did, I would say there isn't a point unless you absolutely loved the series and just want more of the characters. If you're currently reading the series, then it might be more beneficial for you to read them, in order between the books they're supposed to be read between. 

This review can also be found on   Rachel Marie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)


Lauren Oliver:









No comments:

Post a Comment