Monday, January 20, 2014

Classics Challenge 2014

Guys. Classics are hard to read sometimes. They're hard enough to read in class as it is, much less on your own. So why am I challenging myself to read them, on my own time, by myself, for now reason? Am I self-masochistic? (Probably) But I also believe in being cultured, educated and well-rounded. And since I haven't read even some of the most popular classics, I have challenged myself to do so.

(So I was going to start this last year, and then decided to forgo in favor of the Sherlock challenge, that I absolutely completely failed. But let's not dwell on that.) I have decided to bring it back this year. My senior year in English, we were given a suggested reading list for the AP test, and let's just say, there's a lot of books on there I haven't read. So I thought it was time to change that.

My progress will be kept in a tab above. I don't think I'll review the ones that I read, because classics are sort of in a world of their own. It's hard to review something timeless. But here some books that I haven't read yet that I probably really should have by now.

  • Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen (I've tried to start this a million times actually, just don't like it. But at this point in life, I really should have already read something by Jane Austen)
  • The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas
  • The Scarlet Letter by Nathaniel Hawthorne (Actually started this one a few years ago, but never finished)
  • The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde (Because I've owned it for a while now)
  • The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux
  • The Hunchback of Notre Dame by Victor Hugo
  • Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
  • The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger 
  • Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
  • Slaughterhouse Five by Kurt Vonnegut
  • Tess of D'Urbervilles by Thomas Hardy
  • Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
  • The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood
  • The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane
  • The Iliad and The Odyssey by Homer (I've actually read The Aeneid all the way through...in English and Latin. Maybe its time to give the Greek side a chance)
  • Doctor Faustus by Christopher Marlowe or Faust by Johann Goethe -haven't decided which version I'm going to read and this one is still up in the air. (Lol this one is for the guy at Half-Price Books who told me I should read it. Guess I should ask him which version to read?)
  • The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. At least SOME of the stories.
  • Something else by Shakespeare, because we only read 3 or 4 of his plays throughout high school. (Even though Shakespeare is very hard to read by oneself, so we'll see how this goes.)

If you want to challenge yourself, feel free to join me! Pick a few books, and tell me in the comments. And definitely leave me suggestions of books I should add (because this book will grow and change throughout the year).

Oh, and wish me luck ;)


4 comments:

  1. I have read.. some Shakespeare! ... only because of school lol. I have read none of the others >.< I can't help it! Classics just... don't call to me. The story lines intrigue me sure. But when I try to start one.. I zone out and give up. Good luck!

    ~Chelle
    http://thepassionatebookworms.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know, they're really hard to read, especially by yourself and not in class. But I figure it can't hurt to give it a try!

      Delete
  2. Whoa, this is a really awesome challenge! I recently gathered all my classics together and hope - at some point when my TBR goes down - to read them! I've read so many that I've loved and I have so many more that I still need to read! I loved Black Beauty, Frankenstein and Jane Eyre. I've read most of Dracula but I never finished it, so I need to. And I really want to read Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, The Secret Garden, The Little Princess and so many more. I've given Wuthering Heights three chances and haven't liked it - hope you do!

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, everything else in my TBR seems to come first. Dracula! I need to add that one! I already feel like I won't like Wuthering Heights, given my experiences with Pride and Prejudice, but we'll see how it goes.

      Delete