Sunday, October 27, 2013

Short Story Sunday: The Transfer

Title: The Transfer
Series: Divergent, #0.1
Author: Veronica Roth
Rating: 4 out of 5 stars
Purchase: AmazonBarnes & Noble



More Four! Fans of the Divergent series by #1 New York Times bestselling author Veronica Roth will be thrilled by "The Transfer," the first of four new short stories told from Four’s perspective. Each brief story explores the world of the Divergent series through the eyes of the mysterious but charismatic Tobias Eaton, revealing previously unknown facets of his personality, backstory, and relationships.


So I haven't read Allegiant yet. I just haven't gotten around to it, although my sister did buy it like the day it came out. However, as I was reading about it, and watching drama unfold (and boy, was there drama!), it came to my attention that there was a novella that I had yet to read. And since I wanted more Four, and didn't have time to read the full novel (where I hear there are actually dual points of view between Tobias and Tris), I decided to read this. 

The Transfer starts out as Four (still Tobias at this point) is leaving his faction test (or whatever it is called). Of course, he was textbook Abnegation, the faction he was raised in. And of course that's what he landed, what with a father who coached him through every part of the testing to make absolute sure that he ended up Abnegation.

But although Tobias figured that is what he would end up choosing, he can't stop the nagging in his mind that this is not what he actually wants. After all, his whole life has been controlled by his father. And that leads him to make the choice that we already knew he made, from reading Divergent.

Four has told us some about what happened with his father, how he came to choose Dauntless, and why his name is Four, in the series so far without having read Allegiant. Being so long, I am afraid that I'm a bit fuzzy on exactly what he's told us, but  I know that he's told us enough. This novella shows us insight to the things Four told Tris.

For something so short, it was slightly emotional. Not as in tears emotional, but as in you felt for Tobias. You were sad for him, you were happy when he made his choice, you were with him every step of his decision-making process. You also learn the story of how he got the name Four (can't remember if that was already said in the series).

I have heard--and I hope that this isn't a spoiler--that Four isn't the same, awesome Four that he was in the first two books. That he becomes mopey and not the strong warrior-type person he was before. And that made me really sad, because I loved Four. He was amazing. That was another reason I read this novella: I wanted my faith in Tobias to be restored.

I would definitely recommend this to Divergent fans. If you have read Allegiant, and you need something to bring back your faith in the series, or Four. If you haven't, but all the hype has made you wary. Just read it.

This review can also be found on   Rachel Marie's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)



Veronica Roth:

Website | Facebook | tumblr | Twitter | Instragram | Goodreads








No comments:

Post a Comment