Monday, August 19, 2013

Movie Monday #1: Ender's Game


Every nerd girl likes their books. But they also like their movies. When one of our favorite books are made into a movie, we are anxious, excited, scared, and overjoyed. Will the casting be just how we imagined it? Will they completely screw up the plot? Or will, for once, they actually get it right? This feature highlights our most anticipated book-to-movie adaptations.

To be or not to be…controversial

Title: Ender’s Game
Director: Gavin Hood
Stars: Asa Butterfield, Abigail Breslin, Harrison Ford, Hailee Steinfield
Release Date: November 1, 2013
Based On: Ender’s Game by Orson Scott Card
Trailer:

I loved Ender's Game when I read it years ago. It took me a while to get into it, but once I did, I was completely hooked. It was full of action and adventure, and although generally labeled as a "boy book" I definitely think girls can enjoy this one too.

I also loved Asa Butterfield in The Boy in Striped Pajamas, The Invention of Hugo Cabret, and as Mordred in BBC's Merlin. He was great, and I can't wait to see him as Ender. The movie is also filled with other star favorites, such as Abigail Breslin, Harrison Ford, Hailee Steinfield, Viola Davis, Ben Kingsley, and others.


However, I'm sure we are all aware of the huge controversy surrounding Orson Scott Card. There are people who think we should boycott him by boycotting the movie. Now personally, I've never let who the author is or what they've done influence what I read. Mainly because I never look them up or know anything about them before I read their book. And maybe I should, but I have chosen not to. Yet, are some things too big to ignore? But I'm also selfish, and I want to see this movie...


So what about you? Do you allow an author's reputation to influence what you do or do not read? Do you choose what movies to watch based on who you are supporting? Or do you not pay attention at all? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment